Lawn Care Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1405 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let the dog out today, February 1st, and saw some green peaking out through the dormant grass.

Someone needs to tell this Bermuda that even though it was 78°F yesterday, it's not time to come up yet. I still have lots to do before it's time to scalp!

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,476 Posts
Scalping so soon? I want to start mine around March 1st.

·
Administrator
Bermudagrass, 3.75 acres, Arkansas
12,865 Posts
I'm strongly considering 2-3 "incremental" scalps between now and then... to ease the pain of dealing with all those clippings.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
J_nick said:
Ware said:
I'm strongly considering 2-3 "incremental" scalps between now and then... to ease the pain of dealing with all those clippings.
:twisted: burn 'em :twisted: I'm considering it.
It might look bad for a city council member to torch a giant pile of clippings - I think we have an ordinance prohibiting it. :)

On another note, these warm days are wearing out their welcome - it's February:

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Ware said:
This is how I always do it as it's too hard for a reel mower to take it all down in one swath. I usually start with the rotary until I get to the lowest setting and then switch to the reel trying to go down in .25" increments. My city has bulk yard waste pick up on Mondays, so you just have to set the bags out by the curb and they will come pick them up as long as they are under 50 lbs.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
I scalped from 3/4" down to 1/2" (via 5/8") today. I will probably take it a little further, but not today - I have a date with John Wick: Chapter 2.

One thing I hate about scalping, other than the mess it creates, is that it gets so much more difficult as you get deeper into the canopy.

Over the next week or two I would like to scalp down to around 3/8" and then run the dethatcher over it.

The result was (6) bags of clippings for about 7k square feet of grass.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Nice work Ware!

I too, began to scalp the lawn.

Before pictures:

I tried out the little Verticutter/Sarafier
(review coming later):

Next, I got my Honda rotory mower out to suck up the clippings:

Tomorrow I plan to use the electric verticutter/scarifier in the opposite direction and collect those clippings before I get the Reel out for its first cut this year. I'm still unsure what my scalp HOC will be, but I plan to go very low!

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
What kind of blades does it have?

I usually try to rake up most of the debris before I take the rotary over it as it is more efficient and faster than having to dump the bag every pass or two.

Looks like it got the job done pretty good nonetheless.

·
Super Moderator
5,476 Posts
Ware, How much are those bags at HD? I would think it would get expensive using those things.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
Mightyquinn said:
Ware, How much are those bags at HD? I would think it would get expensive using those things.
Looks like they are $1.88 for a bundle of five. I picked up several bundles along with the corrugated plastic chute on clearance a couple years ago at HD. I like them because they stand up nicely. I would probably buy them again, even at the $0.38/bag.

·
Super Moderator
3,092 Posts
Day 2:

Took the electric verticutter back over the lawn in a different direction and sucked up 3-4 more bags of trash.

Then got the Reel mowers out and did the actual Scalp! At about 0.2 (bench HOC). Forgot to get a picture of my Toro....

Now I've applied Pre-E (Prodiamine) at the 6 month rate.

·
Administrator
12,865 Posts
I verticut in two directions, then bagged the mess with my Honda HRX. I'm still at 1/2" HOC, but the canopy is much thinner now. I will probably do some additional scalping next weekend, as I want to start the season under 1/2".

1 - 20 of 1405 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.