Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 LAWN PICS

37K views 167 replies 47 participants last post by  Mightyquinn 
#1 ·
#13 ·
LIgrass said:
I'll kick this thread off

Before mowing, no PGR or milo in over a month.

------------------------------
after mowing/striping + 2 days after a PGR spray and light FAS. Some areas are slightly tinged from over-spray.

-------------------

The strips in this one are a little banged up from trenching for irrigation install (the strip at the property border is actually PRG). The rest Bewitched.

---------------------

More PRG below...LOVE this blend so far. If it survives summer I am considering a backyard reno to this.

That looks amazing! Dark green, full. It seems like the typical temptation is KBG or TTTF, but that PRG is a sound alternative. I wonder why it isn't more popular. Does it not handle summertime temperatures as well?

#14 ·
social port said:
That looks amazing! Dark green, full. It seems like the typical temptation is KBG or TTTF, but that PRG is a sound alternative. I wonder why it isn't more popular. Does it not handle summertime temperatures as well?
Thanks. The PRG is amazing. It blew past my Bewitched sometime in June and never looked back. My wife commented today after cutting how that section is "so dark green" and it looks like "artificial turf". I don't know, a lot of people say it doesn't handle summers well and it has winter kill...I haven't seen any of that so far. No thinning, no color loss, no disease, no weeds. It's about to get hotter soon so we'll see. but up to this point it's a perfect 10.

#15 ·
LIgrass said:
social port said:
Thanks. The PRG is amazing. It blew past my Bewitched sometime in June and never looked back. My wife commented today after cutting how that section is "so dark green" and it looks like "artificial turf". I don't know, a lot of people say it doesn't handle summers well and it has winter kill...I haven't seen any of that so far. No thinning, no color loss, no disease, no weeds. It's about to get hotter soon so we'll see. but up to this point it's a perfect 10.
Yep. Stuff is that awesome.

#16 ·
LIgrass said:
social port said:
Sounds great. That begs the question of what cultivars you are using. I think I'm going to do a bit more reading about how PRG does in the hot and humid southeast.

#17 ·
social port said:
LIgrass said:
social port said:
Sounds great. That begs the question of what cultivars you are using. I think I'm going to do a bit more reading about how PRG does in the hot and humid southeast.
Yeah not winter kill and hot temps problems for me as well. I only have like 2 or 5 days in the 90s. I get stupid cold in the winter.

I am not looking back either.

#18 ·
social port said:
LIgrass said:
social port said:
I'm using seedsuperstore's SS9000 blend. I think it's Pangea, and a couple other ones. I haven't been watering much because it's been hot and muggy here and I noticed 2 of the PRG sections in my poorest soil definitely took a turn down this week. It looks like drought stress/heat stress or possibly disease. I'm still new to PRG so I'm not familiar with what it looks like when disease hits. The other little sections are still chugging along but look like they lost a little color. First ***** in the armor to what was looking like the perfect grass for the last 10 months. I'm going to water tomorrow morning to see if they all perk back up. It's crazy how 1 week of hot/humid weather made a pretty big difference. KBG usually slowly goes into summer decline. Just something to think about. I've read that PRG turns south very fast mid-summer so we'll see if that's happening here.

#24 ·
LIgrass said:
I'll kick this thread off

Before mowing, no PGR or milo in over a month.

------------------------------
after mowing/striping + 2 days after a PGR spray and light FAS. Some areas are slightly tinged from over-spray.

-------------------

The strips in this one are a little banged up from trenching for irrigation install (the strip at the property border is actually PRG). The rest Bewitched.

---------------------

More PRG below...LOVE this blend so far. If it survives summer I am considering a backyard reno to this.

Really curious to know how that pgr made it through the summer.

#25 ·
Fronta1 said:
Really curious to know how that pgr made it through the summer.
It's a mixed bag. I have 4 sections of it, 2 seeded late last fall and 2 spring repairs. One of the spring repairs is toast (poor soil, poor sprinkler coverage on my part), and the other is doing very good.
In the front the little hell strip section is doing good, but definitely lost some color and has some brown blades mixed in it. The other strip has mixed brown blades throughout (I think that section got hit with a fungus, brown patch or possibly gray leaf spot a couple weeks ago). They seem to be holding on at the moment. I will update with new pics when I get a chance. First year PRG is very susceptible to disease and summer stress. I've been reading that it gets better subsequent years. For what it is I still think it's mostly a success. If they can stay intact the rest of the summer the way they are now I think they are going to explode again when cooler weather returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.