Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tuned up the baroness and cut at 0.5". Starting to look good, but i'm still not happy with the turf :twisted: :cry: .

There are plenty of areas that are bare dirt and i can't get anything to grow.

After some careful thought my ideas are to 1: Aerate or 2: Rototill good dirt into the areas that need help and let the bermuda take on its own.

What do you guys think?

alex

·
Super Moderator
Tifgrand—7,500 sq/ft—Baroness LM56
5,474 Posts
I agree with these guys ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's still early on in the season, if it still looks like that come the end of May or June then start devising a plan of action. I think if you just give it time and feed and water the lawn it will fill in the bare spots that you might have. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Just know we are all here to help you!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get better shots of the bare dirt areas.

This was the problem that kicked off me searching the internet for help. My builder put the sod on garbage, literally. There is nothing but hard clay underneath the turf. I had to aerate and top dress last year just to kick start the lawn.

The problem in the back is there is an areal of rolling hills at the top of which is the bare areas. What I believe is happening is that when it gets water the clay doesn't absorb well and the water just rolls to the bottom. I will take better pics and post them soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
How much sun does that area get? Was it like that all last season?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It all gets full sun for 8 hours I believe. The areas you are looking at are either heavy foot traffic or the peaks of the hills i was talking about.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this year will be better than last, but I still believe ultimately what is holding me back from having a killer yard is the dense red clay underneath.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
ajmikola said:
I know this year will be better than last, but I still believe ultimately what is holding me back from having a killer yard is the dense red clay underneath.
Have you done the jar test?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mightyquinn said:
ajmikola said:

Have you done the jar test?
I tried, but i don't think i interpreted it correctly

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
My lawn looks very similar right now too!! If that help any :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mightyquinn said:
My lawn looks very similar right now too!! If that help any :)
There should be grass there though, right? I mean there is a difference b/w dormant bermuda and no grass/dirt patches, right?

Was there good turf there last year during the summer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The water issue might be true for the top of the "hills" since water rolls off before it has time to absorb. You might have to hand water those areas a little later in the season.

they might be bare now just trying to recover from late in last season it might have thinned a little. Once it get really warm and if its watered and fed well, it will take off.... if you get the sun you claim you do.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
Did you dethatch at all this year? I agree with Red Cup and just give it time!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.