Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my reel roller in the mail the other day. Installed it this morning and took my yard from 2.5" to .50". It was a hell of a lot of work, but after 20 full yard bags it's done.. now it's raining but I'll throw some fert down tomorrow.

Before

After

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No doubt!! It was 99* out when I did it, don't want to do that again. Did half of the backyard then it started raining..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SGrabs33 said:
Nice job, the roller looks great. It will be green again in no time :)
Thanks man, the quality seems great!! I'm really happy with the McLane so far, seems like a great reel to start out with. It is kinda slow though, makes me wonder if the rpm's are at the right setting on the engine. The self propelled is not nearly as fast as my Toro rotary mower.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Wow, I was admiring your lawn in some previous photos, and I can identify with the searing heat. It was 99°F here when I was finishing up the aeration of my neighbors lawn, and turned the reigns of the machine over to my middle neighbor for him to take care of his lot. I've aerated over 20k sqft of dirt. I'm beat. :nod:

Funny thing is that all of the big box stores were out of Milo, even Wally World. I went to my local feed & seed store and they had a pallet of it. My wife wanted to come along, and 10 bags of Milo in the van on a 99°F day still isn't a very pleasant ride :lol:

I'm interested to see the results that you'll have over the next few days.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Colonel K0rn said:
Wow, I was admiring your lawn in some previous photos, and I can identify with the searing heat. It was 99°F here when I was finishing up the aeration of my neighbors lawn, and turned the reigns of the machine over to my middle neighbor for him to take care of his lot. I've aerated over 20k sqft of dirt. I'm beat. :nod:

Funny thing is that all of the big box stores were out of Milo, even Wally World. I went to my local feed & seed store and they had a pallet of it. My wife wanted to come along, and 10 bags of Milo in the van on a 99°F day still isn't a very pleasant ride :lol:

Next time you aerate, rent a stand on version. Especially if you are doing 20K ft2. I've wrestled too many walk behinds for my liking. Yes they cost more but what could take hours with a walk behind would only take a fraction of that time with the stand on. Daily rental for a walk behind vs 4 hour rental for a stand on is usually a wash.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colonel K0rn said:

I grabbed 4 bags of Milo at home Depot today, they always have it in stock! I guess no one here knows about it yet haha :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
high leverage said:
Next time you aerate, rent a stand on version. Especially if you are doing 20K ft2. I've wrestled too many walk behinds for my liking. Yes they cost more but what could take hours with a walk behind would only take a fraction of that time with the stand on. Daily rental for a walk behind vs 4 hour rental for a stand on is usually a wash.
Thanks for that info. I'll definitely look into it when I return my equipment. The crazy thing about this area is that you would think there would be plenty of places to rent equipment like that, but for some reason, it seems as though there aren't that many vendors that have what I would consider to be "normal" lawn care equipment, like an overseeder. I can't find one in a 50 mile radius. I'd probably have just as much difficulty finding a stand on version as I am with an overseeder. There's a few other tools and things that I've needed that I could find easily in Central GA, but not down here. Same thing goes for contractors/HVAC/plumbers, etc. It's a strange area, but I digress.

Awesome job on the 50 with training wheels!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DetroitRocker said:
Very nice! Scalping is a b, especially in this heat, but the results will be well worth it. Looking forward to seeing the final product. This rain should definitely help!
Yes sir!! Starting on the backyard now, got about half way there yesterday then the storm came. Shouldn't take long, then I'm throwing down two bags of Milo for the rain!!!!!🇺🇸🤘🏻

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finished up this AM, 21 total bags of grass.... That sucked lol..

Threw down a couple of bags of Milo!!!!!!

Put it through the paces the last few days!!! It did well but struggled a little when the grass was tall. Probably my fault since I'm new to reel mowers... I named it John... As in John McLane haha

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I scalped it down to 7/16ths. Can I mow it at 5/8ths or would I need to go higher? Thanks (going by the height's listed on the McLane manual)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.